Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 1

Well here I am next to my Crappy Ambulance that we borrowed from another unit! They gave us this thing to drive to Idaho with two tires ready to pop and all the belts frayed. Luckily we changed the tires and away we went crossing our fingers it wouldn't break down. After we loaded all of our gear and fueled up away we went.

I think you all know how fun road trips can be! Hitting the open road with all the snacks you can think of and you're most comfortable clothes and perhaps a pillow for when you get tired. Well this one was a little different. Since our top speed in this awesome ambulance is 50 mph going downhill, it took us 12 hours to do a 5 hour road trip. Not to mention we had to wear a 5 pound helmet and long sleeve uncomfortable clothes with military 2/45 air conditioning. (Meaning 2 windows down going 45 mph)


















There's not to much to look at on the open road when you're in a convoy full of military vehicles.

Here's a picture of all the birds (AH-64D Apache Longbows) in our unit all lined up getting ready for some training! Here is one up close and personal! Too bad I will not be flying in one of these $30 million dollar machines.


















Instead I get to fix up soldiers like this guy. My first patient was a heat casualty. This of course is the number 1 thing we see out in the field. That's why you always wear sunscreen and drink lots of water! So the doctor (me) ordered this guy to get some fluids quick! The best way to do that is by doing my favorite thing, Stick him with an IV! We had 4 people come in on the first day because they didn't listen to the the medics and stay hydrated. I will be a pro (as if I'm not already) at giving IV's by the time I get home. Well as the days go on, and the more stuff happens I will try to keep this blog updated.

4 comments:

  1. Love the blog! This is a great way for us to see what you are doing. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including me. Hope all goes well. I will keep you in my prayers. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog is a great idea! You need to remind us of where in Idaho you actually are . . . or is that top secret? =) Good luck and see ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update. Keep them coming. Ben and I shot some ARs this weekend. You will have to come along sometime! David L.

    ReplyDelete